Pages

Friday 15 January 2010

Purple Sandpiper and Mandarins return to Felbrigg

Despite Purple Sandpipers regularly wintering along Sheringham seafront only a mile or so along the beach from West Runton, and the rock pools there looking ideal for them to feed in at low time, near daily checking of the beach there over this (and last) winter had produced a blank, but that all changed today when standing on the clifftop overlooking the beach I heard one call and picked it up as it flew low along the rocky foreshore and landed by the groyne at the bottom of the slope.

I made my way down to the beach and eventually relocated it amongst the rocks, though it was extremely elusive as its plumage made it superbly camouflaged and it would easily disappear down between the rocks. With the tide coming in fast it flew again and to my surprise joined a second bird and they proceeded to chase each other round the small bit of beach that was still uncovered before moving off, presumably back to Sheringham to roost over high tide.

Also on the beach where an unusually high number of other waders, with a dozen Knot, Dunlin, a few Sanderlings and good numbers of Turnstone which all seemed to be making use of the very low tides we have been recently having which has exposed more of the beach than usual.
 
I then paid a visit to Felbrigg Park to check the lake area again as a gradual thaw was now in progress, and whilst scanning the stream where there were now 3 Gadwall (two drakes and a female) with the Teal and Mallards I noticed the welcome sight of a drake Mandarin half hidden amongst the tufts of vegetation. I altered my position and could now see that there was a pair there but aware of my presence they quickly walked further into the vegetation and out of view. It was nice to see them back as they had been absent from the park since the start of the cold snap before Christmas. Heading back I passed the reedbed and my attention was caught by a familiar call, and a bit of patient waiting was rewarded when a male Reed Bunting flew up and perched in the top of the reeds calling loudly.