Pages

Saturday 24 April 2010

Pied Flycatcher - My first spring record on the patch

A walk along the golf course on Friday produced a few Wheatears, a couple of Yellow Wagtails and a House Martin through with other hirundines. An afternoon walk around Beeston was rewarded with a Ring Ouzel which landed briefly in trees before flying off inland, more Wheatears and both Whitethroats and Lesser Whitethroats singing in the bushes.

On Saturday a walk around East Runton and Cromer produced my second Sedge Warbler of the spring singing from a large area of brambles, more Lesser and Common Whitethroats, plus numerous Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers all singing away.
 
Early evening news came through of a female Pied Flycatcher in trees around Subway car park in Cromer, and although the light was fading fast I thought I'd give it a go just in case, so was delighted when upon arrival I noticed a quick movement up in the tops of the trees and a look through the bins revealed that it was indeed the Pied Flycatcher. It quickly flew along the trees and dropped into a hedge where it showed briefly before disappearing, presumably to roost.
 
This was the first spring Pied Flycatcher that I have seen on the patch, and a very welcome bird as I usually have to work very hard to find one each autumn, and some years have missed them completely.