Pages

Thursday 13 May 2010

Wood Warbler at Felbrigg

News that a Wood Warbler had been seen by the western entrance to Felbrigg Park early this morning had me hastening over there, and after a quick search of the area I heard it sing very briefly and eventually located it high up in the trees.
Over the next couple of hours it continued to sing and show occasionally although it always kept high up in the trees, but luckily I manged to obtain a few shots of it, the best of which are included below. Whilst one time fairly numerous, in recent years Wood Warblers have become very scarce visitors to the county, and it was certainly a very good record for the patch, being only my second, so I was very pleased that it hung around long enough for myself and others to catch up with it.

A family of Siskins were seen in the same area, and then a quick walk down to the lake revealed 3 Common Sandpipers and 3+ Mandarins, and on the way back a Common Buzzard was seen flying over the trees near the hall.