Pages

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Marsh Harrier over Felbrigg

With a report of a probable Southern Migrant Hawker Dragonfly on Felbrigg Lake I made my way there, but despite searching with a number of others no sign of it could be found. A single Emperor, Black-tailed Simmers and a few Small Red-eyed Damselflies were however seen.

Two Spotted Flycatchers were seen flycatching from the dead trees in the NW corner of the lake, and then I picked up a large raptor approaching from the east, which I initially presumed would be a Common Buzzard which I frequently see over the park, but getting it in my bins I quickly realised it was a Marsh Harrier, the first one I'd had go through the patch this year, so I was very pleased with the record, especially as I had missed any passing through in the spring.