Pages

Monday 4 April 2011

Cranes Galore

With a sunny morning forecast I headed up to Incleborough again this morning, with singing Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs brightening up the walk. On reaching the hill my first Willow Warbler of the year was heard singing but it went quiet and evaded detection.

I set myself up on the summit and after a few minutes whilst checking out a couple of distant Buzzards, I picked up a flock of 4 Common Cranes way off to the south-east. I watched as they continued their approach and as they hit the north coast they seemed to dither about what to do next so spent the next ten minutes just circling round over the west side of Cromer.

They drifted over to above the hill then started to call loudly to each other in seemingly some argument as to whether to carry on west. At this point one peeled off and started to head back east which caused even more loud calls but it just ignored the others and back-tracked towards Overstrand whilst the others carried on west towards Sheringham.

I called a birder in Overstrand so he could look out for the one heading back and he soon called me back to say he was actually watching three! As I was currently watching the other 3 disappearing off west over Sheringham Park at this point it was obviously another group and quickly turning round and scanning back east I picked up the others circling off in the distance. One of the three then peeled off the group seemingly wanting to do its own thing which made me think it was the single bird that had temporarily joined another two, but as to whether there was six or seven birds involved wasn't clear.

With the news on the pager, the three that went west were tracked all along the coast as far as Brancaster at least so it was nice to see that others had caught up with them too.

A few pics of the original four are included below both before and after the 'split'.


A visit to West Runton produced 5+Shorelarks still in the field there and then the rest of the afternoon was wasted failing to get Raven and the White-tailed Eagle on my Cley Square List!