Pages

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Downy Emeralds

With it being a nice warm sunny day I decided to take a trip over to Norfolks Downy Emerald site in the north-east of the county. Quickly after arrival I picked out one over the pond and watched it constantly battling with the Four-spotted Chasers that were also present, along with my first Emperor of the year.

After a couple of hours of trying to photo it/them without much success, I saw one go up into the trees on the far side of the bay and quickly scanning with bins picked it up resting on a branch. Being too far off for the camera alone I had a go at digiscoping it and managed some fairly decent pics given the distance, with three produced below.


As I had my scope with me I tried my luck at trying to digiscope one in flight too, and even though that seemed like an impossible task I managed the one below probably more down to luck than skill, but nevertheless I was pleased with it.


As the nice weather continued into the evening I decided to make the most of it and went up to the Cromer - Sheringham ridge where I was treated to an excellent display by a Nightjar both overhead in flight and churring from atop a fence post.