Pages

Wednesday 11 July 2012

Brown Hawkers

A walk round Upton Fen yesterday in far from ideal weather actually proved very productive with the highlight undoubtedly being the several Brown Hawkers which had been grounded by the showers and were showing very well, allowing me to get the best ever photos I've got of the species.


Both Black-tailed Skimmers and Four-spotted Chasers also gave good views trying to dry out between the showers.


My first Common Darters of the year were also seen, and in a brief sunny interlude a Norfolk Hawker was watched patrolling one of the ditches and I managed to grab a digiscoped image whilst it briefly perched.


Damselflies seen included a few Variables along with my first Emeralds of the year, and a few butterflies were also noted, including this Comma which like the dragonflies was also trying to dry out between the showers.