Pages

Sunday 28 October 2012

Black Redstart and Little Auk

Highlight today was undoubtedly this ultra stunning male Black Redstart, which along with a couple of females, was feeding around the rock piles on the beach at East Runton.
 

Nine Snow Buntings were also noted coming in-off, and a Lapland Bunting also flew over.
 
Whilst at East Runton I had noticed a scoter flock on the sea beyond the pier so on my way home I made a quick stop just to check through them. They all proved to be Common Scoter but whilst there I glanced across at the pier to check out the ever increasing number of Shags which were roosting on the lifeboat ramp, and immediately spotted a Little Auk on the sea under the pier.
 
I quickly made my way along the prom during which time it rapidly swam towards the surf line and then took flight and landed on the beach up against the prom wall. As I approached it again took flight and after circling the pier it again took shelter underneath it where it then gave good views on the sea.